Saturday, July 9, 2011

Just Do It!

Is there something you've always wanted to do? Something deep in your heart that you'd love to try, follow, pursue, if only _______________ (Fill in the blank with said lame excuse). I asked myself that question the other day. Then while writing a dance sequence for my latest manuscript, (and struggling with the challenge of putting dance moves into compelling words) I decided to watch the movie Dirty Dancing (Patrick Swayzee and Jennifer Grey).... and it hit me like the proverbial bolt of lightning...... dance!

I want to dance. But not just any dance.... (having already taken Ballet, Tap, Jazz, Modern, and Hyland...ask my mother about that one, I was only 4) I want to learn to Tango, Salsa, Merengue, Rumba! All of those sexy sultry up-close-and-personal Latin dances....heck, I'd sign up for Dirty Dancing lessons if they had classes near by. As it is if I want to fulfill my Dirty Dancing fantasy of filling the role of Baby, I'll have to go somewhere like Brazil, or at least the UK to take a class with the dance troope from the stage production of the show.

But I did stumble upon a studio offering a whole host of Latin dance classes....and in case my husband bows out (which I doubt he will.... I mean, come on have you seen these dances!?) And while the idea of being pressed up against some hot young Latin dancer is appealing to most, I'd be more than happy to be pressed up against my own hot husband. But, if he decides not to go...then, hey, I'll adapt and suffer through the hot Latin dance partner... I mean what else is a girl to do!?



 (Yes, very sadly I realize I won't be taking lessons from the late beautiful Patrick Swayze....but I can dream, right)

When you have a burning or even a simmering dream, idea, spark.... I think you owe it to yourself to see it through. At least give in to it once and see where it leads. I've had lots of those moment that became duds faster than you can say refund please...but there have also been some that took hold and anchored themselves in my heart....becoming a  piece of me....like writing. So what sparks are you holding that you've never tried for this reason or that. I invite you to set aside the reasons....whatever they may be. Where there's a will there's  a way and when would now be the perfect time to follow through?!

Go for it, at the very least you'll have an interesting story to tell....like my pole dancing classes (don't ask... suffice to say it's way harder than it looks & I have a great deal more respect for those dancers whose routines invovle a pole )

And at the most, you'll come away with a newly formed passion.... dare to dream and dream BIG!

No comments:

Post a Comment